Radio Caroline Apologizes to King Charles
UK radio station Radio Caroline has apologized after mistakenly announcing the death of King Charles III due to a technical malfunction.
The error occurred on Tuesday, May 19, when the station’s emergency “Death of a Monarch” protocol was accidentally triggered by a computer problem at its main studio.
In a statement shared on social media Wednesday, station manager Peter Moore explained that the system, maintained by British broadcasters for use in the event of a monarch’s death, was activated in error.
“Due to a computer error at our main studio, the Death of a Monarch procedure was accidentally activated,” Moore said. “This mistakenly announced that His Majesty the King had passed away.”
Following the false announcement, Radio Caroline temporarily went off air in accordance with the protocol. The unexpected silence alerted staff to the mistake, allowing them to quickly restore normal broadcasting and issue an on-air apology.
Moore expressed regret over the incident and reaffirmed the station’s long-standing relationship with the royal family.
“Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen’s, and now the King’s, Christmas Message and we hope to do so for many years to come,” he said. “We apologise to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused.”
Founded in 1964, Radio Caroline broadcasts across several countries, including Belgium and the Netherlands, and is also available to audiences online worldwide.
Meanwhile, King Charles III and Queen Camilla continued their public engagements in Northern Ireland. According to Buckingham Palace, the royal couple attended a cultural event at Thompson Dock, where the Titanic was constructed before its maiden voyage.
During the visit, they met performers and organizers preparing for the traditional Irish music festival Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, scheduled for August. The couple also toured Titanic Distillers, where they learned about whiskey production.
The King later visited a local charity focused on expanding access to digital career skills, while both royals met with Northern Ireland’s first minister and deputy first minister at Hillsborough Castle near Belfast.
King Charles, 77, revealed in February 2024 that he had been diagnosed with cancer. In a December video message, he said his treatment would be reduced this year following positive progress. Despite his health challenges, the monarch has continued carrying out official duties and public appearances.


