Top 5 ThIs Week

Related Posts

US Blocks Air France Flight, Diverts It to Canada

An Air France flight heading to the United States was diverted to Canada after US authorities denied entry to a passenger linked to Ebola-related travel restrictions.

Flight AF378, originally scheduled to land at Detroit Metropolitan Airport on Wednesday, was rerouted to Montreal–Trudeau International Airport following instructions from US officials.

According to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the diversion occurred after authorities determined that a passenger from the Democratic Republic of Congo had boarded the aircraft despite restrictions tied to the ongoing Ebola outbreak in parts of Africa. Officials said the traveler should not have been allowed to board under current entry measures.

CBP stated that the agency acted quickly to prevent the aircraft from landing in Detroit and redirected it to Montreal instead.

Air France confirmed the diversion, saying the decision was made at the request of US authorities after the passenger was denied entry into the country. The airline stressed that there was no medical emergency on board and that it was complying with international entry regulations.

The flight, operated in partnership with Delta Air Lines, was diverted amid heightened public health precautions introduced by US agencies to limit the spread of Ebola.

Earlier this week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced stronger screening procedures and tighter travel rules for passengers arriving from regions affected by Ebola outbreaks in Eastern and Central Africa.

The incident took place shortly before additional DHS measures were set to take effect, including a requirement that flights carrying passengers from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and South Sudan arrive at designated US airports for enhanced health screening.

Health officials continue to monitor the outbreak in Central Africa. Reports indicate hundreds of suspected Ebola cases and more than 100 suspected deaths in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with confirmed infections also reported in neighboring Uganda.

World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the risk of global spread remains low but warned that the outbreak remains a serious concern for the affected region. He noted that both confirmed and suspected cases are expected to rise as monitoring and testing continue.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles