Bezos Rejects Political Motive Claims
Jeff Bezos has pushed back against allegations that Amazon’s documentary about Melania Trump was intended to win favor with President Donald Trump, insisting the project was driven by business considerations rather than politics.
Speaking during an extended interview on CNBC’s Squawk Box on Wednesday, Bezos strongly denied suggestions that Amazon’s involvement with the documentary was designed to strengthen ties with the administration.
When host Andrew Sorkin suggested the film may have been released to “placate” the White House, Bezos dismissed the idea outright.
“The Melania story is a falsehood that won’t go away,” Bezos said, emphasizing that both he and Melania Trump’s office had already rejected the claim. He added that reports linking him personally to the decision were inaccurate.
According to Bezos, he played no role in securing or producing the project. Instead, he credited Amazon’s entertainment team for recognizing the public’s interest in Melania Trump.
“People are curious about Melania,” Bezos said. “Even though I wasn’t involved, it looks like the Amazon team made a smart business decision.”
The documentary followed Melania Trump during the period surrounding Donald Trump’s second inauguration, an event Bezos attended. Amazon reportedly paid $40 million to license the film from a production company tied to the first lady, while an additional $35 million was spent promoting the release — figures that sparked scrutiny and speculation.
Despite the controversy, the film performed better than many expected. It earned about $16.6 million at the box office and later became a top performer on Amazon Prime after debuting on the platform in March. Its strong opening weekend, which brought in roughly $7 million, exceeded estimates that had projected between $1 million and $5 million.
The documentary’s success also attracted skepticism. Some critics, including late-night host Jimmy Kimmel, questioned whether unusually large ticket purchases may have inflated sales figures, though no evidence has emerged to support those claims.
Bezos acknowledged why some observers connected the project to his interactions with Trump, including a dinner at Mar-a-Lago after the 2024 election.
“I understand why people raise the question,” he said. “But the idea that this was some kind of influence-buying arrangement is simply not true.”
Amazon executives have consistently defended the acquisition. Company representatives said the decision was based on the film’s unique access and storytelling potential, describing it as a project with cultural and historical significance.
An Amazon spokesperson previously stated that the company licensed the documentary for “one reason and one reason only” — the belief that audiences would enjoy it.
Questions about the project intensified amid broader scrutiny of Bezos’s recent decisions involving The Washington Post, which he purchased in 2013. Critics have pointed to editorial shifts at the newspaper, including Bezos’s emphasis on “personal liberties and free markets” in its opinion section and his decision to halt a planned endorsement of Kamala Harris during the 2024 election cycle.
The Melania documentary also drew political attention. Democratic lawmakers, including Senator Elizabeth Warren and Congressman Hank Johnson, requested an investigation earlier this year to determine whether the deal reflected a potential “pay-to-play” arrangement with the Trump administration. No findings from that inquiry have been announced.
Melania Trump celebrated the documentary’s streaming debut after it reached record viewership levels for an Amazon Prime documentary, while Donald Trump promoted the film publicly, calling it a “must-see” and encouraging supporters to buy tickets


